Tom of Finland
The story of Touko Laaksonen, better known as iconic gay artist and human rights activist Tom of Finland. In post-WW II Finland, homosexuals were officially classified as mentally ill, weak and feminine.
Gay men were beaten by police, thrown in jail like criminals and often sent to asylums for "treatment". In the middle of it all was one man, quietly using his talent in an inhospitable societal environment, fantasizing about a different world through the tip of an artist’s pen: Touko Laaksonen, to be iconically known across the globe by his nom de guerre, Tom of Finland. His art fanned the flames of a revolution, emboldening a new generation of homosexuals to stand up and celebrate what they were: Men.
- Jussi for Best Sound Design, Jussi Awards, Finland, 2018
- Jussi for Best Makeup Design, Jussi Awards, Finland, 2018
- Jussi for Best Costume Design, Jussi Awards, Finland, 2018
- Jussi for Best Production, Jussi Awards, Finland, 2018
- Jussi for Best Cinematography, Jussi Awards, Finland, 2018
- Sunny Bunny Prize for Best LGBTQ Film, Molodist International Film Festival, Kyiv, Ukraine, 2018
- FIPRESCI Prize for Best Foreign Language Film, Palm Springs International Film Festival, United States, 2018
- Grand Jury Prize for Feature Film Competition, Czech Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Czech Republic, 2017
- Pylon Award for Best Picture, QCinema International Film Festival, Philippines, 2017
- FIPRESCI Prize, Göteborg Film Festival, Gothenburg, 2017
- Nominated for the Best International Narrative Feature, Tribeca Film Festival, New-York City, USA, 2017
- Nominated for Audience Award, Edinburgh International Film Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2017
- Nominated for Best International Feature Film, Edinburgh Film Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2017
- Variety.com: Berlin: ‘Tom of Finland’ Movie to Shoot in Sweden
- Variety.com: Sweden’s Goteborg Festival Opens With ‘Tom of Finland,’ Celebrates the Best in Scandinavian Film, and Beyond
- Variety.com: International Newswire: Finland Selects ‘Tom of Finland’ as Oscar Entry
- Screendaily: EFM: Protagonist boards Dome Karukoski’s 'Tom Of Finland'